By Barton Goldsmith
Tribune News Service.
When you have been through a difficult time, it can be hard to see that things are improving. You may find yourself looking over your shoulder for a while, waiting for something bad to creep up and grab you. However, if you change your focus a little, it can make your healing complete, and you can get back to your normal life.
Here’s what you may notice:
1. The bills are getting paid. It may seem simplistic to some, but if you have lost a job and have had to reinvent yourself, taking care of the basics can feel pretty good.
2. People praise you for your inner strength. Take it in when other people compliment you on getting through your challenges. Sometimes we brush off such compliments, because accepting them reminds us of what we’ve been through, which can trigger bad feelings. The trick here is to listen to what others are saying and allow yourself to believe it too.
3. Even though you may still feel sad inside, you are not crying much anymore, and you generally feel a little better. Embrace that you are doing better, even if it’s only little things that you can see at the moment.
4. You are getting more done. With emotional healing, we also get extra energy and some creativity thrown in. As you get back to your old self, you can take pride in your productivity and enjoy the process more than you have.
5. You are rethinking your life path. This is something we should all engage in at least once a year. Maybe you’ve always wanted to travel or be a writer. Now is the time to take those adventures you’ve wanted to take and to make changes that will bring you more happiness. This may propel you into a new direction, perhaps toward your life‘s dream.