WWR Article Summary (tl;dr) Amazing speakers, music, food! What else could you ask for? This weekend, “OZY Fest” 2018 rolls into Rumsey Playfield in Central Park.
On Saturday more than 5,000 people gathered in New York City’s Central Park for Day One of “OZY Fest”, NYC’s “TED meets Coachella” music/food/politics/ideas festival.
The two-day festival is an opportunity for the digital media group to bring together some heavy hitters to discuss current events, trends and technology.
Highlights of day one included:
– Sex and the City Star and current Mayoral Candidate Cynthia Nixon discussing the need to abolish ICE
– Salman Rushdie on the state of American literature
– Mark Sanford predicting the next economic collapse
– Rose McGowan breaking down into tears about the evolution of #MeToo
– Performances by Common and comedian Hasan Minhaj
– Alex Rodriguez discussing the current state of Major League Baseball
However, the biggest highlight of the day came when Hillary Clinton took the stage with Laurene Powell Jobs to discuss Russian interference in American democracy.
Clinton immediately jumped into the controversy saying, “The great mystery is why the president has not spoken up for our country. We saw that most clearly in this most recent meeting with Putin. We don’t know what was said in the room with just the two of them” It’s crucial, in meetings with a leader like Putin, she says, to have note takers and others in the room, instead of the one-on-one Trump and the Russian leader had.
Day 2 looks to be just as engaging. Headliners for the day include Malcolm Gladwell, Karl Rove, Michelle Wolf, Laverne Cox, Sen. Gillibrand and Chelsea Handler. Check out https://www.ozy.com/ for the latest highlights from the event or go ahead and livestream!